Unsolved mysteries dave davis

Unsolved mysteries dave davis DEFAULT

Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack - S1 E01

ANNOUNCER: This program is about unsolved mysteries. Whenever possible, the actual family members and police officials have participated in recreating the events. What you are about to see is not a news broadcast. [theme music] ROBERT STACK: Tonight on "Unsolved Mysteries," the story of newlywed Shannon Davis who died in a riding accident. Shannon&#;s husband had purchased secret insurance policies totaling $, In Oklahoma, Aileen Conway died in a mysterious car crash. The highway patrol ruled it an accident. Her husband believes she was murdered. In , Glen and Bessie Hyde vanished on a Grand Canyon River trip. 50 years later, a secret skeleton was found. In Concord, California, housewife Dottie Caylor, terrified of unfamiliar places, summoned the courage to take a train ride. She has never returned. Our four mysteries tonight are connected by common threads-- unexplained circumstances, deceit, the suggestion of foul play. At the heart of each is a husband and a wife. These mysteries will be difficult to solve. But the stakes are high when people&#;s lives are involved. Perhaps you can help. We&#;ve recreated the events of each story in precise detail, in the hope that someone, somewhere, knows the truth. Join me. You may be able to help solve a mystery. On July 23, , in a small Michigan farming community, newlyweds Dave and Shannon Davis prepared to go for a sunset horseback ride. Within an hour, Shannon was dead. According to Dave, Shannon was not an experienced rider. When they reached the edge of the woods, she lost control and fell off the horse, striking her head violently on the ground. Dave&#;s simple and plausible story was immediately accepted by the couple&#;s family and friends. I felt that Shannon&#;s marriage was made in heaven. I really felt this. I had began to love David. I described him probably to a lot of people as a man&#;s man. He was an outdoor person, hunting, fishing. He just was very manly and very likable. LUCILLE MOHR: And she&#;d say, isn&#;t he neat, Mom? And I thought he was neat. I thought he would protect her from anything. I had no idea of what he was really like. ROBERT STACK: After Shannon&#;s death, Bob and Lucille Mohr began to discover that Dave Davis was not the man he seemed to be. They began to find clues in Dave&#;s behavior, which led them to believe that their daughter&#;s death was not an accident. Dave Davis has now disappeared. There&#;s a warrant out for his arrest. But the Mohrs are afraid that their son-in-law may have gotten away with a perfect crime. At the hospital, Shannon was pronounced dead of the injuries caused by her fall. Minutes later, Shannon&#;s parents were surprised and upset when Dave insisted that their daughter&#;s body be cremated. Her request was to be cremated. ROBERT MOHR: And I says, can we take Shannon back to Toledo for burial? Please, let&#;s talk her back to Toledo. Let&#;s take her home. DAVE DAVIS: It&#;s not what she wanted. ROBERT MOHR: I suppose our voices were getting a little bit loud, because I don&#;t believe in cremation. I knew Shannon didn&#;t want that. This is what she wanted. I felt so strongly that if he was going to insist on it, I was going to go try and find a judge and get a temporary restraining order to stop him from doing it. ROBERT STACK: That night, Lucille couldn&#;t sleep. She remembered that her husband Bob had caught Dave in a lie about life insurance. LUCILLE MOHR: Bob says, David, do you have insurance on Shannon? He said no. And it just shot right through me. I remembered Shannon coming home from her honeymoon, the very next day saying David took out a large life insurance on me. That was the first lie I picked up. ROBERT STACK: Three days later, Shannon was buried. Bob and Lucille Mohr noticed that Dave seemed unmoved. PRIEST: I Bless the body of Shannon with the holy water. ROBERT STACK: After the funeral, Shannon&#;s parents found out that Dave had lived a life of deceit. He bragged that he&#;d been wounded in Vietnam. His own parents said he was never in the service. LUCILLE MOHR: All this was crowding in on me. And I just-- all I could think inside is David, did you kill my daughter? And it just was there. I knew that he had murdered my daughter. I didn&#;t know what to do with it. I felt ashamed. I just felt like I was going crazy inside. ROBERT STACK: Two days after the burial, six separate insurance companies contacted the funeral home, requesting copies of Shannon&#;s death certificate. Her death left Dave Davis the beneficiary of $, Bob Mohr then discovered that Dave may have been involved in other insurance scams. ROBERT MOHR: He burnt the farm down across the road. And he had other fires and the fake injury from when he worked for the automotive company. So I think he was just out to live on insurance money. And he just kept getting bigger and bigger all the time. He started out with a simple fire, and now he was up to the point where he was going to collect big insurance. ROBERT STACK: At Bob and Lucille Mohr&#;s insistence, Shannon&#;s body was exhumed. The medical examiner found the injuries on the body consistent with a fall from a horse. Indications of an unknown drug, however, were found in Shannon&#;s body. But the medical report still ruled Shannon&#;s death an accident. Three months later, an article in the "Detroit Free Press" exposed Dave&#;s alleged insurance swindles. The case was reopened. And Dave moved to Florida. Detective Don Brooks was assigned to the investigation. DON BROOKS: And the information that was contained in that newspaper article was phenomenal. I thought if this was even 50% accurate, we&#;re onto something here. ROBERT STACK: Brooks contacted the toxicologist who had earlier found traces of the unknown drug in Shannon&#;s body. DR. ROBERT FORNEY, JR: I explained to him that we had a very large number of chemicals that we were looking at. There&#;s over , chemicals in common use. And we had searched for and ruled out maybe 1, And I said what I need is some help. DON BROOKS: Is that the metagraph right there? DR. ROBERT FORNEY, JR: This is it. You see the peak is right here. Can you see how nice and clean it is? Because it&#;s so clean, that means that I think it&#;s a drug. This is important to the case. It&#;s got to be, if we can identify what that is. He asked me actually for information about Davis&#;s background. One of the things I told him was that he was a dirt farmer. And he had some large animals on a farm. Dr. Forney and I then discussed the idea of contacting veterinarians in the area that may have serviced Dave Davis. DON BROOKS: I&#;m Don Brooks for the state police. I talked to you a little bit earlier. That&#;s right, Don. DON BROOKS: I happened to ask two or three different vets in the area if they knew of any drugs that may affect the muscular system or the nervous system that they would use on large farm animals. And when I did so, one of the veterinarians I talked to provided me the name of a drug. ROBERT STACK: Dr. Forney tested that drug, an animal tranquilizer. It matched perfectly the sample taken from Shannon&#;s body. Now Brooks needed to connect the drug to Dave Davis. We were able to determine that several years ago, Dave Davis took part in a deer hunting camp, at which members of the camp used this drug to hunt deer with, with bow and arrows. ROBERT STACK: Shannon was exhumed a second time. Two injection marks were found-- one on Shannon&#;s shoulder, and one on her wrist. LUCILLE MOHR: Don Brooks called, and he said bingo. They found Shannon is injected with something. And we&#;re going to move now. We&#;re going to get him. ROBERT STACK: On October 13, , a grand jury issued a first degree murder warrant for Dave Davis. Detective Brooks believes that Dave Davis pushed or coaxed Shannon off her horse, wrestled her to the ground, then paralyzed her with a lethal tranquilizer. Brooks believes that Dave then struck her head on a rock, so that the injuries would appear accidental. DON BROOKS: I don&#;t think there&#;s any question that this is premeditated murder. I believe he married Shannon Davis to kill her and to profit. I want to get him. And I want him see him locked up. And I want him to feel at all times that we&#;re breathing right down his back. Because I will not let go. That can&#;t bring her back. But put him, put him away, before he does that to some other girl. And he will, he will. ROBERT STACK: After our broadcast, a viewer recognized Dave Davis as an acquaintance living in American Samoa, a small island in the South Pacific. Davis was arrested nine days later by FBI agents. At the time of his arrest, Davis was living in this house with a year-old Samoan wife. He told her that his first wife had died in a tragic accident. 3 And 1/2 weeks later, Davis was returned to Michigan, to stand trial for murder. REPORTER: Any comment on the charges against you Mr. Davis? I didn&#;t do it. REPORTER: Police say your wife was poisoned. I didn&#;t do it. ROBERT STACK: After only 2 and 1/2 hours of deliberation, a Michigan jury convicted Dave Davis of first degree murder. For Shannon&#;s parents, the verdict brought an end to their nine-year struggle for justice. ROBERT MOHR: This is what we waited for. And we got what we wanted. He&#;s going to be locked up the rest of his life. That&#;s what we wanted. But we&#;ll go on the rest of our life missing her. That&#;s why I say he gave us the death penalty. Now we&#;re giving it to him. ROBERT STACK: Last September, we presented the mystery of George Marsh, a Kansas City laborer who died alone in a nursing home in He had no known heirs or relatives. But he left behind a legacy of $, We hoped that someone watching the broadcast might have known George Marsh or his heirs. There were few clues. A birth certificate, showing that George Marsh had changed his name from Joseph Zelenka and some family photos, including this portrait of a young woman, inscribed, "Your loving niece, Eleanor." ELEANOR TOLAR: When I looked up and saw my senior high school picture on TV, I couldn&#;t believe it. So then, when they read, "Your loving niece, Eleanor," that that&#;s how it was signed, I was just stunned. I was just amazed. And then the very next picture was Uncle Joe. And I said, my gosh, that&#;s Uncle Joe. ROBERT STACK: This woman, Eleanor Tolar, is George Marsh&#;s long-lost niece in the high school photo. The Zelenka family lives in Rock Springs, Wyoming. Joseph&#;s brother Jim has been looking for Joe since JIM ZELENKA: I would never know, no idea, why he kept away from the family. Because there was no hard feelings. We were all united always, in everything. ROBERT STACK: The Zelenkas are currently waiting for a final judgment from the public administrator&#;s office in Kansas City. Jim and Eleanor plan to divide the $, among Joe&#;s surviving relatives. But more importantly, they want to preserve Joe&#;s memory. They intend to bring his body back to the family burial site. JIM ZELENKA: The money, it don&#;t mean as much as finding out where he&#;s at. I just feel good all over to know that I located him and know where he&#;s at. And I&#;d be able to bring his body back to rest with the rest of his family. In our next story, we&#;ll meet a man who returned home to find his house empty, the bathtub full of water, the phone off the hook, and his wife missing. April 29, , AM. A farmer in rural Oklahoma notices an ominous plume of smoke rising from a nearby road. [siren] He called the authorities. And 20 minutes later, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol arrived at the scene. They found a burning car embedded in a deserted bridge. The heat was so intense that the car had actually melted into the metal guardrail into which it had crashed. LARRY SALLEE: When the highway patrol arrived, a body was inside the car at the time. But it was a futile exercise whatsoever to try to get to the car, due to the car had already burned so bad. ROBERT STACK: By the time the flames subsided, the body behind the wheel was burned beyond recognition. Skid marks indicated that the car&#;s speeded impact was 50 to 60 miles per hour. To the highway patrol, it seemed like just another senseless accident. A computer check revealed the car belonged to Pat Conway, who lived with his family in Lawton, Oklahoma, 15 miles from the crash site. The next day, the victim was identified as Pat&#;s wife of 33 years, Aileen. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol ruled Aileen Conway&#;s death as a one-vehicle fatality accident. Within hours of the crash, however, a number of mysterious discrepancies emerged, which led Pat Conway to believe that his wife had in fact been the victim of foul play. There is no doubt in my mind it was murder. And if I live to be years old, I&#;ll still be pushing to try to find the individual or possibly two individuals, whoever was involved. ROBERT STACK: Pat first became suspicious when he returned home a few hours after the accident. The patio door was wide open. Aileen&#;s purse, which she always carried with her, was sitting by an arm chair. Her driver&#;s license and glasses were still in it. An ironing board was set up, and the iron had been left on. Water from a garden hose was running into the backyard swimming pool. And most significantly, in the master bathroom, at the back of the house, the tub was still full of water. And the phone was off the hook. PAT CONWAY: The thing that really got my attention was the phone being off the hook, as though she had attempted to make a phone call, possibly to the police department. We have no way of knowing who. Between me and the kids, one would say one thing and one another. And we started putting it together, and right away we find out there was no accident at all. ROBERT STACK: Another disturbing detail nagged at Pat. What was Aileen doing out on that lonely country road? Neither of them had ever been in the area. And there was certainly no reason for Aileen to be there by herself. Nothing about his wife&#;s death made sense. Pat contacted Ray Anderson of the district attorney&#;s office. RAY ANDERSON: The first impression that I had of this case, when I met with Mr Conway, was that of a spouse that was left alone and behind, not expecting the tragedy that happened and looking for an excuse or looking for some reason why this happened, other than it just being an accident. However, when you start looking at the extenuating and surrounding circumstances, the way that she left her house, then it leads you to believe that there is a possibility that there could be foul play. Pat, you want to take that side of the road. And I&#;ll take this side. And just look for anything that might look familiar or unusual. ROBERT STACK: A few days later, Pat and Ray Anderson went to the crash site, looking for clues, any clue. Pat, could you come over here a minute? ROBERT STACK: feet from the bridge, they found a church bulletin in the grass. This look familiar to you? PAT CONWAY: Yeah, this is the church building out of our car from the previous Sunday. And it was on the day she was in the car. Are you sure that&#;s out of your car, you think? Yeah, I&#;m positive. There&#;s no doubt that&#;s where it was. ROBERT STACK: Aileen always drove with the windows rolled up and the air conditioning turned on. The bulletin could not have flown out of a moving car. The car would had to have been stopped. RAY ANDERSON: Someone else may have been with her. Opened the door, set the accelerator, and slammed it into drive, hoping to run Mrs. Conway off into the creek, and make it appear as though it was an accident. ROBERT STACK: As a result of Anderson&#;s investigation, the Lawton district attorney changed the official cause of death from accidental to unexplained. The DA then asked the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation and the state Fire Marshal to evaluate the likelihood of arson. What made me suspicious at first was looking at photographs and seeing how much burn that was in the vehicle. This thing was completely burnt, destroyed. The burn was similar to that were gasoline or something like that was used in. And another thing that brought my curiosity up was the fact that the gas cap was missing. And most arson cases-- and this is documented-- have a vehicle, the gas cap is removed. And that was the case here. ROBERT STACK: Informal burn tests on dashboard and upholstery samples from a car similar to Aileen&#;s suggest the inside of her car may have been doused with gasoline. SONNY SANSOME: We took the material. And we applied a blow torch to it, set the material on fire, then removed the blow torch. And the fire went out, which is consistent with a flame-retardant type material. And then we took some gasoline and soaked the material. And then, of course, the thing was completely destroyed. And the point being without some type of an accelerant like gasoline, the fire would not burn that bad. ROBERT STACK: If Aileen Conway was murdered on a bridge that day, one question still remains. Why? We don&#;t really have an answer for what put her out there. A lot of theories floating around. Perhaps she interrupted a burglary. We backtracked a little bit into the neighborhood. And apparently there had been reports of burglaries in the weeks and months preceding this situation. So the possibility of an interrupted burglary is there. PAT CONWAY: It had to be robbery. Whoever came in didn&#;t know she was here. And once they found out she was here, they didn&#;t want to leave her to identify them. So then this makes murderers out of them. If this case is solved, it will be because that there will be somebody that talks. There will be somebody that admits their involvement in this. And of course, I&#;m a firm believer that that&#;s what normally captures the criminals is their inability to keep their mouth shut. ROBERT STACK: No one knows exactly what happened to Aileen Conway on a remote country bridge in Oklahoma that day. A year later, Pat Conway is still searching for answers. PAT CONWAY: Even though you&#;re discouraged, you keep pushing it every day. You constantly think about it when you go to bed at night or get up in the morning. It&#;s on your mind the whole time. That somehow it needs to be solved. I&#;ll never quit as far as trying to solve the case. ROBERT STACK: Next, the story of Glen and Bessie Hyde, who disappeared on a perilous rafting trip on the Colorado River. Both were assumed lost, until a woman claiming to be Bessie Hyde said she murdered her husband. The Colorado River cuts through the Grand Canyon, a perilous stretch of water that was once considered the most dangerous in the world. In , two newlyweds set out to navigate these treacherous whitewater rapids. They were never seen again. Emery Kolb, a Grand Canyon photographer, was one of the last people to see them alive. 50 years later, when Kolb died, authorities were surprised by a gruesome discovery in his boathouse on the rim of the canyon. Hidden in a canoe was a single human skeleton that appeared to have suffered a violent death. Whose bones were these? And how did the victim die? DR. WALTER BIRKBY: One good option would be that the individual met death by homicide. A second option would be suicide. It would be nice to know who this individual was. I mean, somebody is missing. Somebody was out there. And there may be friends or relatives who would very much like to know who it is. ROBERT STACK: The disappearance of the honeymoon couple, and the discovery of the human remains in the boathouse happened almost 50 years apart. Yet they were connected by an article in an Idaho newspaper and by the Arizona law authorities. They suggested that the bones might be those of the adventurous young river rafter, Glen Hyde. Tonight we&#;ll examine these mysteries of the Grand Canyon. What happened to Glen Hyde and his bride, Bessie? Is their disappearance connected to the secret of the bones in the boathouse? Glen And Bessie Hyde were married in Twin Falls, Idaho on April 10, Glen was 27, and Bessie just 18 years old. That fall, they built a boat for a special honeymoon adventure, a trip down the Colorado River to California, through the dangerous Grand Canyon. Glen was a thrill seeker. This journey would mean instant notoriety. SCOTT THYBONY: Glen wanted to make a record run through the Grand Canyon. He wanted to do it in a homemade boat. He wanted to do it with a new bride, who had never been on rivers before. And he wanted to do it without life jackets. In the fall of the year, about six months after they were married, they were in Green River, Utah. An experienced river man at Green River looked at the boat. And he thought it looked to him like a coffin. It was unlike anything that had run down the Colorado before. ROBERT STACK: The Hydes took 26 days to get from Utah to the Bright Angel Trail in the heart of the Grand Canyon, a new record. With the most dangerous stretch still ahead, they stopped to see Emery Kolb who had already twice navigated the Colorado River rapids. Kolb had arrived at the Canyon in and set about documenting its grandeur. His stunning photographs and immense knowledge of the river soon made Emery Kolb a legend. THELMA SELF: He was very enthusiastic about his river trips and so proud of them. Everybody that I know who&#;s interested in the river at all, in all the years I was there, first came and talked to Emery Kolb. EMERY KOLB: Frankly, I just don&#;t think you should go. No woman has ever traveled the river from-- ROBERT STACK: When the Hydes visited Kolb, Bessie had grown tired of the river trip. EMERY KOLB: Now Especially the idea of not taking life jackets. ROBERT STACK: Emery tried to warn them of the certain dangers ahead. He asked them to stay with him through the winter and postpone their trip until the weather improved. Glen, I just don&#;t think-- ROBERT STACK: He even offered the couple his own life jackets. But Glen refused all Kolb&#;s offers. There&#;s really no reason to fear. Both Bessie and I are good strong swimmers. Come on Bessie. The light will be fading. THELMA SELF: Mr Kolb told me that he tried his best, every way in the world to talk him out of going. He said you have no idea of what you&#;re getting into. He said, I&#;ve been there, and I know what it&#;s like. He begged them to take life preservers and even inner tubes. And Glen flat refused. He said I&#;m going to do it without or else. ROBERT STACK: Two days later, Glen and Bessie disappeared. Army aviators flew into the canyon and spotted the empty boat below Diamond Creek. Emery Kolb was asked to lead the search party to find the lost couple. Surprisingly, when he discovered the boat, it was undamaged. Glen! Bessie! SCOTT THYBONY: The boat seemed to be intact-- the clothes, food, Glen&#;s rifle was on board, a camera with exposed film. There was a very sketchy diary. But a diary that Bessie Hyde had been keeping was on board. They found everything there except for the people. There&#;s no sign of them. ROBERT STACK: The bodies of Glen and Bessie Hyde were never recovered. 50 years later, the discovery of the bones in Kolb&#;s boathouse fueled speculation. Could these be the remains of Glen Hyde? And how were they connected to Emery Kolb? We&#;ll get them examined. ROBERT STACK: The authorities turned the skeleton over to Dr. Walter Birkby, an expert in the science of identifying human remains. He discovered that the bones were of a male Caucasian, 20 to 23 years of age, six feet tall with light brown hair. Dr. Birkby also discovered a bullet embedded in the skull. What we found out from the bullet that was removed from the skull was that not only was this a caliber projectile. It came from a revolver that began manufacturing in about centimeters. ROBERT STACK: The production date of the gun and clothing fragments found with the skeleton suggest that death occurred in the s. During that time, only two people-- Glen and Bessie Hyde-- are known to have disappeared in the Grand Canyon. DR. WALTER BIRKBY: Somewhere along the line, I heard a rumor to the effect that Emery Kolb could have murdered Glen Hyde, in order that he could have, I guess, beautiful Bessie. It&#;s so preposterous. And that I just can&#;t believe it. That he would off somebody and then keep the damn body around. You got verticality on these mirrors? ASSISTANT: Yes. DR. WALTER BIRKBY: We&#;re going to have to rotate that more than that. ROBERT STACK: Dr. Birkby hoped to put the rumors to rest. He superimposed a photograph of Glen over the skull, to precisely compare bone structure. DR. WALTER BIRKBY: Even more, even more. ROBERT STACK: This was the only way to determine if the skeleton was indeed Glen Hyde&#;s. DR. WALTER BIRKBY: The skull is of a different shape than the face of Glen Hyde. The eye orbits themselves are angled in a different direction than Glen Hyde&#;s. The cheeks are wider. Even the shape of the chin is wrong. Glen Hyde&#;s chin was somewhat rounded, as we can see on the photograph. Whereas the chin of the submitted skull tends to be fairly squared off. So those features alone, do not match. These remains, these bones that were submitted for analyses, are not the remains of Glen Hyde, period. End of story. ROBERT STACK: But the story, in fact, does go on. And the mystery deepens. If the bones do not belong to Glen Hyde, then what happened to Glen and Bessie? The answer may lie in the eyewitness reports that claim Bessie Hyde is still alive, and that she was seen back in the Grand Canyon, retracing the steps of her ill-fated honeymoon adventure, 43 years after she disappeared. In , an unknown woman took a day rafting trip through the Canyon. Geologist George Billingsley was also in the party. She was a very serious person. She was always just watching the Canyon and helping out a little bit around camp, all the time wanting to do something. And fairly happy, but quiet. And pretty much to herself. ROBERT STACK: Towards the end of the trip, they made camp at Diamond Creek. The same spot where Glen and Bessie&#;s boat had been found four decades earlier. To this day, we have no idea what happened. ROBERT STACK: That evening, a river guide told the legend of the missing couple. WOMAN: I know. ROBERT STACK: And the woman matter-of-factly revealed her true identity. WOMAN: I&#;m Bessie Hyde. GEORGE BILLINGSLEY: She told us seriously enough, to where we wasn&#;t sure what else to say. WOMAN: I killed him. GEORGE BILLINGSLEY: But we all figured she was just making up her own story. MAN: How? GEORGE BILLINGSLEY: But later on, we got to thinking, maybe she really was Bessie. Because the age was right. WOMAN: I got a knife, and I stabbed him. GEORGE BILLINGSLEY: And she never smiled when she said what she said, as if she really knew. WOMAN: It was right around here we had a bad fight. And he beat me up. ROBERT STACK: According to the woman, Glen was obsessed with completing the trip, no matter how dangerous. When she tried to leave, a fight erupted. SCOTT THYBONY: I got the full name of the woman then eventually contacted her back in Ohio. But when I asked her about the Hydes and their disappearance, she denied everything. She said she hadn&#;t told the story. She said she didn&#;t know anybody named Hyde. And she said she wasn&#;t Bessie Hyde. My gut feeling though is that she was. ROBERT STACK: The mysteries surrounding this story still remained unsolved. If the bones in Emery Kolb&#;s boathouse are not Glen Hyde&#;s, whose are they? And why did Kolb keep them hidden in that canoe for so many years? The mysteries have survived the years. And for now, they remain part of the legend of the Grand Canyon. Next, the story of a woman trapped in her house by agoraphobia, the irrational fear of unknown people and places. Strangely, she has vanished. The Bay Area Rapid Transit system, known to commuters as the BART trains, that link San Francisco with the East Bay cities. On June 12, , Jule Caylor drove his wife Dottie to the BART station in Pleasant Hill, California, 18 miles from Oakland. She entered the station and purchased a ticket, a simple task performed each day by millions. But this was a test of courage for Dottie Caylor. Dottie suffers from agoraphobia, an irrational, overwhelming fear of being in public places. Facing the unknown and the possibility of panic shadows every step. No one knows if Dottie overcame her fear that day and actually boarded the train. What is certain is that for 2 and 1/2 years, there&#;s been no trace of Dottie Caylor. JULE CAYLOR: After the first few days, I thought that she had left temporarily to-- well, simply make things inconvenient for me. I think that Dottie could have disappeared to get even with her husband who had disappeared on her for half of their married life. She could have done that in the beginning. It&#;s very hard to imagine her doing that for a great long period of time. ROBERT STACK: Immediately after she disappeared, Dottie&#;s friends wondered why a woman so afraid of the unknown would leave behind everything she had and everyone she knew. At first, they thought she may have left to escape an unhappy marriage and start a new life in another city. But as the months and years elapsed, there was no word from Dottie. Holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries went by. Now Dottie&#;s friends and family are wondering could she really have vanished voluntarily? Or was her disappearance more sinister? In , Dottie married Jule Caylor, an entomologist with the National Forest Service. They settled in the Oakland suburb of Concord. But over the years, her home became a self-imposed prison. JULE CAYLOR: Dottie had what doctors have called agoraphobia. She would stay inside most of the time. She couldn&#;t even apply for a job, much less hold one down. It was a real problem. ROBERT STACK: Dottie and Jule&#;s marriage deteriorated. Dottie was often home alone because Jule was working out of town over 50% of the time. Then in November of , the relationship erupted in violence. PAULA POWERS: She told me that they got in an argument. It escalated to the point where he finally hit her with a board or something. And she received a wound in her head. And that she did grab some scissors and said, you keep away from me, and protected herself. And she was standing over top of me with those scissors. ROBERT STACK: Jule says that Dottie started the fight. Swearing at me and saying I&#;ll kill you, you son of a-- I&#;ll kill you. And I grabbed her little typing stand and hit her with it. ROBERT STACK: Dottie needed to pull together the threads of her disintegrating life. So in , she joined a support group called "Women in Transition." Without ever telling Jule, she attended meetings for over a year. PAULA POWERS: I met her in the fall. And of course the last time I saw her was in late spring. And I thought she&#;d made a tremendous amount of progress, actually. As time went on, I would notice she&#;s adding a little more color to her outfits. She is taking a little more care with her hair. She cut her hair in a new style, which was a very scary thing for her. It was as if a new Dottie were emerging. JULE CAYLOR: She had secret lives, a secret existence that I knew nothing about. And she wanted it that way. She pursued that. I only began to become aware of it near the time that she disappeared. I wasn&#;t even aware of it. I was just suspicious. ROBERT STACK: Dottie secretly rented a post office box so she could receive mail without Jule&#;s knowledge. She opened a personal bank account and transferred $5, into a cashier&#;s check. Then one month before Dottie disappeared, Jule told her he had to accept a job transfer to Salt Lake City. JULE CAYLOR: Dottie had said in the event that I got transferred that she was not interested in going with me. So I wasn&#;t expecting her to go with me and wouldn&#;t even have wanted her to, I guess. ROBERT STACK: According to Jule, on Wednesday, June 12, Dottie set off on an overnight trip. He drove her to the Pleasant Hill BART station. JULE CAYLOR: I took her down to the BART station. She had with her a little overnight bag. Bye, Jule. JULE CAYLOR: And I dropped her off. And she walked around the corner of the station and disappeared. ROBERT STACK: Jule is certain that Dottie had her purse, as well as her overnight bag, as she walked into the station for the last time. But he can&#;t be sure that Dottie ever boarded the train. The next day around noon, Jule returned home early from work and got off the train at the Concord BART station. In the parking lot, he was surprised to find Dottie&#;s Volkswagen next to his car. JULE CAYLOR: So I walked over and looked inside. And then I noticed her purse. And that was very, very strange. SHELLEY WILSON: She told me how important it was to her to have her purse with her all the time. She felt secure if she felt she had a lot of her things with her. And she felt safe out in the world. That&#;s one of the things that made me feel so terribly upset, when I realized that she had not taken her purse with her. ROBERT STACK: Jule left a note on Dottie&#;s car, asking her to contact him. Over the next four days, he left two more notes, talking about problems he was having with the house. He also expressed his love and pleaded with her to come home. SHELLEY WILSON: I spoke to Jule. And Jule told me that he hadn&#;t seen her for three or four days, and he didn&#;t know where she was. And that her car was there, her purse was there, and he didn&#;t know where she was. I was extremely upset. I asked him if he called the police. And he said that he had not. And this made me very-- just almost hysterical. ROBERT STACK: Five days after Dottie vanished, Jule filed a missing persons report with the Bay Area Rapid Transit police. The following day, the Concord Police Department was finally notified of Dottie&#;s disappearance. Not by Jule, but by the BART police. Two weeks after Dottie vanished, Jule moved to Salt Lake City, where he still lives and works. Back in Concord, Diane hired a private investigator, Francie Koehler. FRANCIE KOEHLER: : The status of the case at this point is we view it as-- I view it as 10% missing persons case and 90% potential foul play. ROBERT STACK: As their attempts to locate Dottie turned up no new leads, Diane and Francie started to worry that Dottie might be dead. They began to consider Jule a suspect. We don&#;t know for sure if Dottie ever got to the BART station. The only one that has reported that Dottie went to the BART station is her husband Jule. We don&#;t know if she ever got there. If this proves to be anything other than a straight disappearance case, Jule will be a suspect in her disappearance or in her death, whatever it may be, along with anybody else that may have been close to her at the time or prior to her disappearance. You would certainly consider those around that person as being possible suspects. No, that doesn&#;t bother me at all. I suspect that she either willfully disappeared and then was helped to permanently disappear or perhaps just got in with the wrong person, right at the start. ROBERT STACK: 2 And 1/2 years have passed. And still, no one knows if Dottie Caylor built a secret life for herself, to escape an unhappy marriage, or if she was simply the victim of foul play. DIANE RUSNAK: I think there&#;s a chance that Dottie is dead, which is very disturbing to think about. I have many dreams about this. And the authorities I speak to and the friends I speak to come up with hundreds of ideas. There&#;s no peace. There&#;s no rest. There&#;s no conclusion. And we won&#;t forget her. It was hell living with Dottie. It was hell having her disappear the way that she did. And yet, since I&#;ve gotten here and gotten settled and into a new job and that whole problem is behind me, things are really pretty good. Tonight&#;s mysteries are stories without endings, all missing that one vital clue. Perhaps someone watching tonight knows what happened and can reveal the truth. Perhaps it&#;s you.

Sours: https://www.facebook.com/UnsolvedMysteriesWithRobertStack.FilmRiseTV/videos/unsolved-mysteries-with-robert-stack-s1-e01//


After seven years` flight across half the globe, David Davis` luck ran out Friday. The man accused of killing his young wife, Shannon, on their southern Michigan farm in was arrested in the South Pacific islands of American Samoa.

A television show was Davis` downfall. The FBI and local police in the capital, Pago Pago, arrested Davis on a tip from a viewer of NBC-TV`s

''Unsolved Mysteries.''

The case twice was featured on the show because it combined mystery, deception and more than $, in insurance money, and because Davis vanished after

Davis, 44, is accused of injecting his wife of 10 months with a powerful muscle relaxant that killed her, then masking the deed by bashing her head on a rock and telling police she fell off a horse.

Hillsdale County (Mich.) authorities believed him and ruled the death an accident, but a tenacious state police officer, Detective Sgt. Don Brooks, believed otherwise.

After a month investigation, the state attorney general`s office took Brooks` evidence before a grand jury that returned a first-degree murder warrant.

Police came close to capturing Davis in Port au Prince, Haiti, over the Christmas holidays in , but he fled, leaving behind his sailboat.

Shannon Mohr was 25 when she met Davis in Sylvania, Ohio, on Aug. 4, She had attended nursing school and became a registered nurse.

Her pay from a Toledo hospital was the only money coming into the household after she married Davis in Las Vegas 8 weeks after they met.

A Detroit Free Press investigation showed that Davis bought a $, insurance policy two days after their honeymoon, naming himself as beneficiary if Shannon died.

Within a short time, he was beneficiary to five other policies. In all, he stood to collect more than $, if she died.

The following summer, she did, on July 23, , in a secluded wooded area of their farm outside Pittsford, miles southwest of Detroit.

Shannon`s parents became suspicious at the hospital where their daughter was dead on arrival. The Mohrs said later that Davis told them Shannon wanted to be cremated, against their Roman Catholic faith and what they understood to be their daughter`s wishes.

The FBI and police arrested Davis at Tafuna International Airport, where he was working in an office job for Pacific Island Airways. He had been living under the name David Myer Bell.

NBC spokesman Charles Barrett said a viewer called the show`s toll-free number after watching the Dec. 28 broadcast in the U.S. He said he knew Davis from visits to American Samoa, and provided authorities with information that led to the arrest.

Davis had collected on two small insurance policies after his wife`s death, but fled without collecting on the rest of the $,

In Lansing, Mich., state Attorney General Frank Kelley said, ''We have waited a long time to make this announcement.

''In the ensuing years, many law enforcement agencies have been involved in pursuing Mr. Davis, but he has managed to elude us-until now.''

Sours: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpmstory.html
  1. Butane pocket lighter
  2. Peterbilt dump truck specs
  3. Minecraft adventuring time

JACKSON, MI - A man infamous for drugging his wife to death in and masking it as a horse-riding accident has died at the Michigan Department of Corrections' Duane L. Waters Health Center in Jackson.

An autopsy was to be completed, but authorities believe David Davis, 70, died Nov. 9 of congenital neuromuscular disease, corrections Spokesman Chris Gautz said Tuesday, Nov.

Davis, whose widely publicized crime was the subject of a TV movie and a book, killed Shannon Mohr, 25, in near Pittsford in Hillsdale County. He fled the country, evading authorities for nearly a decade until a woman in Hawaii saw his case featured on "Unsolved Mysteries" and tipped investigators.

He was arrested in January in Pago Pago in the South Pacific for a murder that almost went unexposed.

He used what was thought-to-be undetectable horse tranquilizer to kill Mohr, allegedly to collect on insurance policies totaling more than $, He bashed her head with a rock and blamed a horse. Officials initially bought his story, calling Mohr's death an accident caused by a fall from a horse.

Mohr's family, however, persisted, unwilling to accept the finding. They pressed for further investigation, Mohr's body was eventually exhumed and toxicologist Dr. Robert Forney discovered a large quantity of the tranquilizer.

A warrant for Davis' arrest was issued in , police narrowly missed nabbing him in Haiti the same year, and it took years to locate and bring him to trial.

"Unsolved Mysteries" featured the story. The show inspired no useable leads until the episode re-aired about a year later, alerting the Hawaii woman about Davis, who was using a fake name.

A jury convicted him in of first-degree murder and he was sentenced to life in prison.

As early as , Davis denied killing his wife, a nurse from Toledo he had met in

"I could never have hurt her," Davis told The Toledo Blade in , maintaining that Mohr fell from the horse and hit her head. Mohr's father, who has since died, called Davis a liar. "He disgusts me," he said in response.

Even in recent years, the case fascinated. Investigation Discovery aired a TV program in titled "Gallop to the Grave" about Davis and Mohr.

It was also the topic of a two-hour TV movie, "From the Files of 'Unsolved Mysteries': Victim of Love," which premiered in , and a book, "Murderous Intent."

"It's one of those classic cases that you don't get out of your mind," former Jackson County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Mark Blumer said last year. He prosecuted the case while he worked for the state attorney general's office.

Sours: https://www.mlive.com/news/jackson//11/man_infamous_for_killing_wife.html
Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - Season 2 Episode 9

Real Name: David Davis
Aliases:&#;Dave Davis
Wanted For: Murder
Missing Since: July 23,


Details:&#;David and Shannon Davis were newlyweds living on a farm in Pittsford, Michigan. On July 23, , they went out for an afternoon horseback ride. Within an hour, Shannon was dead. According to David, she was not an experienced rider; when they reached the edge of the woods, she lost control and fell off her horse. She violently struck her head against the ground and was killed. At the hospital, she was pronounced dead as a result of the injuries she had received from the fall. Minutes later, her parents, Robert and Lucille, were surprised and upset when David insisted that her body be cremated. They knew that she did not believe in cremation, due to her beliefs. However, he claimed that cremation was what she wanted. He eventually backed down and allowed her to be buried as they wanted.
Later that night, Lucille realized that Robert had caught David in a lie about life insurance. After Shannon was pronounced dead, Robert asked David if he had a life insurance policy on her, and he said no. However, after their honeymoon, she had told Lucille that he had taken a life insurance policy out on her.
Three days after Shannon's death, she was buried. Robert and Lucille noticed that David appeared unmoved; he did not seem to care that she was dead. After her funeral, they learned about more lies that he had told. He had bragged to several people that he had been wounded in Vietnam, when, according to his own parents, he was never even in the military. They also revealed that he was not a millionaire as he told Shannon when they met. Also, he had been married before and had two daughters.&#;Although, at first, Robert and Lucille had accepted his story about Shannon's death, they were now beginning to suspect that he may have murdered her.
Two days after Shannon's funeral, six different insurance agencies contacted the funeral home, requesting copies of her death certificate. Her death left David the beneficiary of $, Robert discovered that he may have been involved in other insurance scams. He allegedly burned down a farm near his old home and had set other fires to fake injury while working for an automotive company.
At Robert and Lucille's insistence, Shannon's body was exhumed for an autopsy. The medical examiner found her injuries consistent with a fall from a horse. However, indications of an unknown drug were found in her body. Despite this, the examiner still ruled her death an accident. Three months later, a newspaper article exposed David's insurance scandals. This case was reopened and he moved to Florida.
One of the investigators contacted a toxicologist who had earlier found traces of an unknown drug in Shannon's body. He stated that he needed some information to try and narrow down the ones that David may have used to poison her. The investigator told him that David was a dirt farmer and that he had several large animals on the farm. He suggested contacting veterinarians in the area who may have worked with him. One stated that a certain drug, normally used for large animals, could be used to paralyze a human.
The toxicologist tested this drug, an animal tranquilizer; he compared it to the one found in Shannon's body. It was determined to be a match. The investigator soon learned that David had been part of a deer hunting group, and that several years earlier, they had used this during one of their trips. Shannon was exhumed a second time; the medical examiner found two injection marks on her body. One was on her shoulder and the other was on her wrist.
Based on all of the evidence collected, on October 13, , a grand jury issued a first-degree murder indictment for David. Authorities believe that he pushed or coaxed Shannon off her horse. He then wrestled her to the ground and paralyzed her with the tranquilizer drug. Finally, he struck her head on a rock to make her injuries appear accidental.
Unfortunately, David fled before authorities could arrest him. They have been searching for him ever since.
Extra Notes: This case first aired on the November 29, episode. It was also profiled on America's Most Wanted during David's flight from justice and documented on&#;American Justice, Forensic Files, and The New Detectives after he was captured. In , it was adapted into a TV movie, Victim of Love: The Shannon Mohr Story, starring Dwight Schultz.

Results:&#;Captured. After this case was reaired on December 28, , David was arrested in American Samoa on January 6, , after a viewer recognized him as an acquaintance, David Myer Bell. After fleeing Michigan, he lived in Florida, Haiti, and Alaska, among other places. In , he moved to American Samoa. At the time of his arrest, he was living with his twenty-year-old Samoan wife in a one-room shack. He had told her his first wife died in a tragic accident. He was also working as a pilot for a small commercial airline.
Three weeks later, David was returned to Michigan to stand trial for murder. On December 5, , after just two hours of deliberations, a jury convicted him of first-degree murder; he was sentenced to life in prison without parole. He died in a prison hospital on November 9,
Sadly, Robert and Lucille have since passed away.

Sours: https://unsolvedmysteries.fandom.com/wiki/David_Davis

Dave davis mysteries unsolved

David Davis Preys on a Nurseon the Rebound
(&#;Horse Play,&#; Forensic Files)

Shannon Mohr&#;s romance started out as a fairy tale and ended as a cautionary tale: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

David Davis and Shannon Mohr

The &#;it&#; in this case was David Davis, a self-proclaimed millionaire.

As YouTube commenter BellaMarley1 wrote: &#;Never trust anyone who tells you he&#;s a millionaire&#;nobody decent would do that.&#;

Fortune hunter. Maybe it&#;s not so much decency as wisdom. People with a lot of money usually know that announcing it can attract scammers and gold diggers, or mean getting stuck with the check.

Of course, David Davis didn&#;t need to worry about being victimized for his money — he didn&#;t actually have any.

He wanted a cash infusion and tried his hand at the ever-popular Forensic Files murder and insurance fraud combo.

Delving into personal history. For this week, I looked around for more information about what David Davis was doing in the eight years between Shannon Mohr&#;s homicide and his capture on a tropical island.

I also searched for biographical details on Shannon Mohr. Forensic Files mentioned only that she was a nurse who wanted a family.

So, let&#;s gallop into a recap of the Forensic Files episode &#;Horse Play,&#; along with extra information drawn from internet research:

Wholesome girl. Shannon Mohr was born on Sept. 1, , in Toledo, Ohio, to a devout Catholic family.

The sweet, caring child was &#;daddy&#;s girl and mommy&#;s best friend,&#; according to a episode of Happily Never After.

She fulfilled her dream of becoming a registered nurse, but hadn&#;t made progress on the marriage and children front.

One night in , she reluctantly went to a friend&#;s wedding without a date. She had recently broken up with a Toledo firefighter. &#;Go, maybe you&#;ll meet somebody,&#; her well-intentioned mother told her.

David Davis' farm, where he lived with Shannon Mohr

It worked.

At the nuptials, Shannon, 25, met David Davis, He was handsome and charming enough to make her forget about the age difference.

Play for sympathy. David told her he owned farms all over the country and was worth seven figures.

He said that he was a veteran who had sustained an injury in the Vietnam War, then attended the University of Michigan, where he was on the football team — and played in the Rose Bowl — and graduated with a psychology degree.

Oh, and his fiancée died in a car wreck and he thought he&#;d never love again, he told Shannon, according to &#;Gallop to the Grave,&#; the Happily Never After episode about the case.

Shannon&#;s parents, Lucille and Robert Mohr, liked the charismatic bachelor, too. (Even the judge who later presided at the murder trial noted that he was smooth, articulate, and clever.)

Whirlwind romance. There were some negative indicators early on, nonetheless.

Shannon and David married in Las Vegas (bad sign) on Sept. 24, , after knowing each other for eight weeks (even worse), and they took out $, dollars of insurance on her eight days after the wedding (bright-red flag).

But the warning signs were probably lost amid all the joy of a new relationship.

Shannon Mohr as a girl

Sole breadwinner. Shannon moved to David&#;s acre farm in Hillsdale County, Michigan. He grew corn and soybeans. She got a nursing job at Flower Hospital in Sylvania.

Shannon&#;s pay was the only income the couple had, according to the Chicago Tribune, but he most likely came up with some Dirty John-esque story to explain it away. And the lovebirds weren&#;t together long enough to start arguing about money.

On July 23, , just 10 months after the wedding, the couple rode their Tennessee walking horses to visit neighbor Dick Britton. David helped him repair some machinery, and then the happy pair trotted off toward home.

Teary-eyed. But David came rushing back to Britton&#;s house, saying Shannon&#;s mare bolted and Shannon hit her head on a rock.

Shannon was lying on her back with no shoes on and her blouse partly unbuttoned.

She was lifeless by the time the two men rushed her into the emergency room. Doctors attributed the death to head and spinal injuries.

Lucille and Robert Mohr arrived at the hospital to find David Davis crying.

Cash flow problem. In his grief, he managed to articulate that he wanted the body cremated, but he ultimately agreed to let the Mohrs bury Shannon back in Toledo.

Lucille and Robert Mohr's house

David sheepishly told his in-laws that he couldn&#;t afford to pay for a funeral because his money was tied up in the farm and he didn&#;t have any life insurance on Shannon.

The Mohrs funded the funeral, which took a surprising turn when David Davis&#; mother and stepfather, Joyce and Theodore Powell, showed up.

David had told the Mohrs he was an orphan.

Parents galore. His father, David Ellsworth Davis, was still alive, too. The Mohrs also discovered that their daughter&#;s husband wasn&#;t a millionaire, didn&#;t own multiple farms, hadn&#;t really served in Vietnam, never played college football, and hadn&#;t graduated.

So, who was he, really?

David Richard Davis was born in Flint on Sept. 27, , and his parents split up when he was His father described him as a good student at Southwestern High School who enjoyed archery and other outdoor activities.

Premium story. He had two daughters from a previous marriage, to a woman named Phillys June Middleton (Shannon didn&#;t know he had an ex-wife). Phillys and David lived together on the Michigan farm. Alleging physical abuse, she filed for a court protection order and the couple divorced in , according to reporting from Gannett News Service on Jan. 10,

Phyllis probably didn&#;t realize how lucky she was to get out of that marriage alive — or maybe she didn&#;t have enough life insurance to put her in danger.

Although David denied it at first, he had a total of $, in life insurance — the original policy plus some subsequent smaller ones — on Shannon Mohr. The policies were due to expire at the beginning of August , just days after Shannon&#;s untimely death, according to the Sun-Sentinel, a Florida newspaper that always has great crime coverage.

Shannon Mohr

David would later give various explanations for the existence of the policies, including that he didn&#;t pay attention and never knew about them, they each took out insurance on the other to help pay farm expenses in case one died, and that an insurance salesman sought them out and sold them on the idea of insurance.

Need that piece of paper. The Mohrs also discovered that David had plans to go on a trip to Florida with a girlfriend shortly after Shannon&#;s death, according to the Toledo Blade. David claimed he needed to get away and regroup — and his gal pal had invited herself.

While away, the grieving husband had neighbor Dick Britton forward him his mail. He needed multiple copies of Shannon&#;s death certificate for insurance purposes.

To the police, however, Shannon&#;s demise still looked like an accident, and they closed the case.

Intrepid reporter. The Mohrs launched a letter-writing campaign to persuade the Michigan attorney general&#;s office to continue investigating. Dick Britton also urged authorities to take a new look at the evidence against his former friend.

A month after Shannon&#;s death, her body was exhumed and an autopsy revealed a severe gash on her head and bruises on her face, hand, and arm.

Still, no forensic alarm bells sounded, and the case stayed closed.

David Davis under arrest

Then, a Detroit Free Press reporter named Billy Bowles started poking around and discovered sketchy incidents from David&#;s past. He had twice profited from fire insurance on his farm — he &#;insured everything,&#; his father-in-law would later say — and collected worker&#;s compensation from a suspicious injury supposedly incurred while working for a car manufacturer.

Out at sea. Bowles also found out that David had taken some advanced courses in pharmacology at the University of Michigan. Investigators theorized that David used succinylcholine in the murder.

Michigan reopened the case of Shannon Mohr&#;s death.

Meanwhile, David had sold his Michigan property, collected five-figure payouts from Shannon&#;s smaller policies, and taken up residence on a sailboat in the Bahamas with a girlfriend. He was waiting for the final results of Shannon&#;s latest autopsy so he could get his hands on the bulk of the insurance money.

After a third autopsy, investigators farmed out lab work to Swedish scientists who had developed methods for detecting succinylcholine. They found high concentrations in two areas of Shannon&#;s body, suggesting someone had given her two shots of the drug, which is often used on horses.

Media aid. Investigators eventually concluded that the injections, not the head injury, killed Shannon. Succinylcholine paralyzes every muscle except the heart and makes it impossible to breathe without a ventilator. The drug probably left Shannon conscious as she slowly suffocated.

The authorities moved to arrest David Davis in Haiti in December , but he fled, leaving his sailboat behind. He eluded them for eight years.

Then, Unsolved Mysteries broadcast an episode about the case.

A Beverly Hills dentist named Cheri Lewis later said that the fugitive looked like a man with odd thumbs whom she had dated, according to the Detroit Free Press. Lewis later noted that David garnered sympathy by speaking of his wife Shannon, &#;who drowned.&#;

And Hollywood stuntman Beau Gibson thought David Davis&#; picture resembled his best buddy, &#;Rip Bell,&#; who had given him flying lessons, the Detroit Free Press reported.

You&#;re busted. But only one of David Davis&#; associates — who remained anonymous — actually called the toll-free number on Unsolved Mysteries. The tipster said the fugitive was living under the name David Myer Bell in American Samoa, where he and his year-old wife resided in a tin-roofed shack.

Four FBI agents arrested David Davis at Tafuna International Airport in Pago Pago, where he was working as a pilot for Pacific Island Airways. (He met his wife, Maria Koleti Sua, on the job. She also worked for the airline.)

He admitted his real identity and peacefully submitted to the arrest, according to the Detroit Free Press on Jan. 7,

Tropics-wear. &#;Oh God, I don&#;t know what to say,&#; Lucille Mohr told the Detroit Free Press upon her ex-son-in-law&#;s capture. &#;It has been eight years of hell&#;my heart&#;s coming out of my chest.&#;

At a stopover in Hawaii, David, 44, wore a blue and white Aloha shirt during FBI questioning, according to the Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

In addition to identifying himself as a pilot, David had posed as a doctor, nurse, and &#;even as a harpsichord player&#; while on the run, according to an FBI spokesman quoted in an AP account.

Only the pilot claim was genuine. He earned FAA certification while on the lam.

Cold-hearted husband. By the time the feds nailed him, the once-rugged-looking David Davis was &#;overweight, slovenly&#; and &#;gray-bearded&#; but he &#;nevertheless cut a dashing figure,&#; according to the Detroit Free Press.

His trial kicked off in November

The prosecution would conclude that on the day Shannon died, David Davis suggested they have sex outdoors. While Shannon was getting undressed, he sneaked up on her and gave her one or two shots of succinylcholine to immobilize and kill her, but she fought back before the drug took effect. She left scratch marks on his arm, which the Mohrs noticed at the hospital. (He said they came from tree branches he brushed by in his hurry to summon help for Shannon.)

He then staged the horse accident by hitting her head with the rock, the prosecution believed.

Popping the question. Early on, sheriff&#;s deputies had noticed that the rock with the blood on it was the only rock anywhere near the scene of Shannon&#;s death.

Shannon Mohr as a child in her first communion dress

And evidence of David&#;s con jobs and lies came spilling out.

David had asked a series of women to marry him after knowing them for just weeks, investigators discovered. Shannon was apparently the first one who said yes.

A gal pal named Jeanne Hohlman testified that David said he was a CIA agent assigned to protect Shannon. After Shannon died, he told her the mission was over and they could start dating again, according to Happily Never After.

David Davis chose not to take the stand.

Escape from execution.The jury took 212 hours to find him guilty of first-degree murder. Noting that Shannon&#;s death by suffocation was &#;more despicable than a contract murder,&#; Hillsdale Circuit Judge Harvey Moes sentenced the wife-killer to life without parole.

Lucille Mohr said she wished Michigan still had the death penalty, but her husband noted that &#;being locked up in a cage the rest of his life is probably times worse,&#; the Gannett News Service reported on Jan. 8,

In captivity at Marquette Branch Prison, David continued to profess his innocence.

Bid rejected. &#;I could never have hurt her,&#; he told the Toledo Bladein , still maintaining that Mohr fell from her horse and hit her head.

David filed an appeal with a federal court that year. There was continuing controversy over the lab work purported to reveal the presence of succinylcholine — a number of industry professionals regarded the tests as junk science — but it didn&#;t help David&#;s case much.

The real smoking guns were the insurance policies, David&#;s tall tales about his life, and the murder scene appearing staged.

He lost on appeal.

The death he deserved. In prison, David boycotted the television room when other inmates watched the TV movie about Shannon&#; murder, according to the Toledo Blade story, which also noted he sported a &#;white beard and wrinkles.&#;

Ultimately, David got a taste of his own medicine.

He acquired neuromuscular disease and died at the age of 70 in a prison health care facility in

David Davis in a mug shot

Lucille and Robert Mohr, who ultimately received the bulk Shannon&#;s life insurance payout, died in and , respectively.

Intrepid cop. Billy Bowles, who Forensic Files viewers will remember from his appearance on the show, died the same year David Davis did. A colleague credited him with spending seven years toiling over a &#;10, piece jigsaw puzzle&#; until a picture emerged in the Shannon Mohr murder case.

According to the Chicago Tribune, another hero of the whodunit challenge was &#;tenacious state police officer Detective Sgt. Don Brooks,&#; who never bought the story that Shannon&#;s death was an accident. Brooks went on to appear on Forensic Files.

Shannon Mohr&#;s murder spawned many episodes of various true crime shows. No luck finding anywhere to see them for free online, but you can watch the made-for-TV movie, Victim of Love: The Shannon Mohr Story, on YouTube. The Philadelphia Inquirer called it &#;great trash TV.&#;

That&#;s all for this post. Until next time, cheers. — RR

Watch the Forensic Files episode on YouTube or Netflix

Share this:

Sours: https://forensicfilesnow.com/index.php/tag/david-davis/
Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack - Season 1 Episode 7 - Full Episode

Lie still. Do you remember what happened. - MMM yeah. You were doing something there.

You will also be interested:

For the fact that she gets her husband drunk. But the honor of the old moonshine woman could be attributed to the fact that she did not poison the local peasants with fired alcohol, she did not, chemically, adding cheap. Technical alcohol to the moonshine.

1005 1006 1007 1008 1009